- The Fellowes Pulsar-E is the least expensive electric plastic comb binding machine that is offered by Fellowes.
- It is an electric version of the manual Pulsar 300 comb binding machine with virtually all of the same features.
- This machine has a distinctive and stylish contemporary look that is designed to fit inside a small or medium sized office environment.
Strengths / Features:
- The Fellowes Pulsar E offers a sleek, smooth design that folds closed when the machine is not in use. This makes it easy to store the machine and helps the machine blend in with other office equipment inside your organization. Since this machine has an electric punching mechanism, it doesn’t need a punching handle. This makes Pulsar-E even more compact and makes it less obtrusive.
- This machine offers a slide out drawer that will hold plastic binding combs for easy accessability. This slide out drawer also has a measuring device that allows you to measure the size of the combs inside the drawer. The measuring guide also allows you to select the correct size of comb for your document or project.
- This machine offers a punching capacity of 15 sheets per punch. Although there are many binding machines available on the market that can punch than the Pulsar-E, for the price this is a very respectable punching capacity. Plus, the electric punching mechanism allows you to increase productivity in punching and binding your documents.
- The comb opener included on the Fellowes Pulsar Electric binding machine uses metal hooks and metal fingers. When looking for a low end binding machine, it is important to choose one with a metal comb opener. Comb binding machines that use plastic comb openers will easily break leaving the machine virtually useless.
Weaknesses / Limitations:
- One limitation of this machine is that the comb opener is only designed to handle plastic combs up to 1-1/2″ in diameter. Plastic comb binding spines are available in sizes up to 2 inches. However, the Pulsar-E is not compatible with 1-3/4″ or 2″ plastic binding combs. Organizations that need to bind documents with these large thicknesses will really need to consider a larger comb binding machine.
- This machine is designed for binding 8.5″ x 11″ letter size documents. Although this is adequate for many organizations, this machine is not a good fit for users who need to punch or bind other sheet sizes. Companies who need to bind half letter sized sheets, legal sized documents or A4 length documents will need to choose a binding machine with disengageable punching pins.
- Although this binding machine is electric and offers a great design, it is important to remember that it is still made primarily out of plastic. This unit is designed for small and medium sized offices that do occasional binding. High volume users really need to consider a larger, more durable binding system with industrial metal components.
- The Pulsar-E electric comb binding machine is an excellent choice for small and medium sized offices.
- This machine offers a compact, sleek design that will blend into an office environment.
- However, larger offices or higher volume users will most likely find this machine is too small to meet their needs.
- It is also not a good choice for organizations that need to bind thick documents or custom sized sheets. Belt cutting machine